Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Successful Words

The toughest thing about success is that you've got to keep on being a success. Talent is only a starting point in business. You've got to keep working that talent. Irving Berlin

The whole idea of needing to work at something is quite unpopular. Individuals who seek my help as a clinical hypnotherapist often come with the hope that I have a magic wand in my closet. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. While self-hypnosis is a powerful resource, it is not magic. One must build skill, practice regularly & also work to build heightened awareness of Self. It helps to fall in love with the process.

I hear a lot about wanting to be successful at this, that or the other. There are those who want to lose weight or to be motivated to exercise, or to write a book, or to perform in some sport, perhaps professionally. It's so easy & enjoyable to chat about being successful. I enjoy observing these conversations, especially when the deliverer is very animated about what they want or how they view the actual success. Money & fame seems to flow with little or no obstruction. Few, if any, discuss the consistent & persistent work that will be involved.

Yesterday I received a call from someone who was thinking about becoming a hypnotherapist. They had visited my websites & thought that they might like to develop CD programs, as I have done. They wanted to know how to go about all of this & here is the punch line.........how long it would take because they really need to generate some income, like yesterday.

Ouch....

Whenever I hear this question, I do know that the person on the other end of the question isn't going to be a happy camper when they receive the answer. Success takes time. Ideas need to germinate. Creating with a gun to the head usually doesn't work. The idea of working continually for ten to fifteen years on something is not usually what someone has in mind when wanting to experience success.

It's the same with weight loss & management. How long do I have to eat like this? My automatic response to this is usually " how about forever." The idea that the body & mind only need high level nutrition some of the time is a totally rediculous comment, yet I hear it over & over.

Once again, it's easy to talk about success in the realm of weight management & the practice of disorderly eating. If you were a fly on the wall in my office, here are some of the things you would overhear.

I want to be a size 6. I want to weigh 110 pounds. My daughter is getting married & I need to look good for the wedding. Summer is coming & I want to wear my bikini. I need to get this over & done with. How long will it take to drop 2 sizes?

And then...

I need to be able to eat what my husband eats, because I don't have time to cook twice. I don't know how to cook & I have no time to do so. I don't like healthy food. I can't swallow vegetables. There is candy in my office. Others bring in cookies & cakes. I go to lots of parties & I have to eat what the hostess prepares. I don't have any control about food choices because of my family. I have to go out to lunch every day & all that is available is fast food. I can't exercise because I'm too busy, it's too hot, it's dark in the morning, it's dark in the evening, I need a partner, I don't like it, etc.

And then....

Can't you just hypnotize me so the weight comes off, so I lose my belly, so my hips desolve, so my thighs don't rub, etc. etc.? So what do you think of those fat burning pills that work when you sleep. That's sounds about right for me.

While I've been finger-pointing at my disorderly eating groupies, I find the same mindset to successful achieving in just about all areas of desire.

It's one thing to want & quite another to work continually to get it. Whether one wants to write & publish a book, or to win the Olympics, the rules remain the same. Follow Irving Berlin's quote at the top of the blog. It's not enough to just have talent. If you want to be a writer, you have to write. If you want to publish your writing, you need to do the things necessary to accomplish that. Want to win the Olympics? Well, first you need to lace your skates & step on the ice or do whatever your sport of choice demands...... And, you must do these things over & over, as well as fall in love with Self competition.

So what about success in other areas of life, like relationships? Mr. Berlin's advice fits the bill here as well. In every relationship there are at least three separate relationships. And so... stay in awareness of what you need, as well as the needs of the other or others & what you need as a relationship unit.

So magic is out...........awareness & consistent work is in. This is the road to success.

Today is the day I start on the road to success. The seeds to my success are in my imagination in this very moment. I work within those seeds & materialize strong roots.
Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, C.Ht

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home