Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Regenerative Words


Ideas are the mightiest influence on earth. One great thought breathed into a man may regenerate him. William Ellery Channing


How wonderful it is to be in a field of endeavor that has the potential for touching so many minds & bodies. I've always loved being a nurse & can't remember a day when I didn't delight in going to work. While that might sound a bit "Pollyanna-ish", it truly isn't. I started in my education & career in psychiatric nursing, moving to oncology following graduation. The meeting of those two specialties took me towards my current career as a hypnotherapist.


Working with the power of suggestion & the multiple applications of interactive self-hypnosis are absolute treats. No matter how difficult the patient, there is always tremendous hope for imparting change on the wings of a well defined & delivered set of words. I've seen these changes "in the moment", some of them potential life-savers when delivered in the emergency room, OR, or following an accident. I've witnessed fear moving to the side, so a baby could be born with less pain for the mother. Today I watched a partially locked-jaw open for the first time in two years.


I've observed individuals with addictions accepting the straw of freedom, as they are given tools to release their basically useless guilt & shame. I'm rather fond of addicted people, as well as those with eating disorders. It will always excite me to build an image for someone who has failed repeatedly at something, or has lost faith in his or her own power.


Writers can & do experience the same. Real people with real problems & issues will hold your very words in their hands. Simple words can make huge changes. We are never fully aware of what a simple phrase or image will do & how a life will change because you thought to write it. If you are a writer & not feeling the human connection to your potential readers, I'd suggest that you work with creative self-hypnosis to achieve this. It truly doesn't matter what you are writing. If someone is going to read it, you do want to feel that connection as you create.


Today I had the pleasure of working with a young writer who has been experiencing creative blocking. She is very talented, but her blocks tend to be big, besides harboring aggressive behavior. During our session today, the blocks were actually conversing with me....of course through the patient. It was, indeed, my pleasure to work with her in their dismantling them & in so doing we were able to free her creative work from the prison where it had been held hostage by the poorly behaved blocks.


As I mentioned before in this blog, I have my own creative & emotional blocks that would love to have their way with me. Fortunately, I'm able to spot them quite easily now, before they get too settled in. Once I spot-light them, they are mine for the duration that I allow them to remain. My power returns, just like a genie. I'm now free to diminish them, and/or open them for the presentation of inner clues. All negative, all blocks do contain worthwhile positive aspects. As one learns to harvest these, creativity soars.


ARCHIVED BLOG


I consider myself on a very long journey. I sustain my personal vision of success until I achieve it....and then I continue right along.
Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, C.Ht

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home