Sunday, July 17, 2005

Future Words

If you do not think about the future, you cannot have one. John Galsworthy


My manuscript in progress is grateful today, for the Florida storms are big & never-ending. Weather like this means that it is comfortable to be glued to the computer, for the mind has few places to suggest going. Usual weekend garden work can't call out. Even the snakes are searching for the high ground. While I'm not a fan of snakes, I do admire how they innovate & motivate themselves. I don't know anyone who ever saw a snake procrastinating when the moment was right. Should we or shouldn't we? simply isn't a part of snake vocabulary. We can learn much if we just open our eyes & observe those around us, reptiles or not.


My book manuscript, Beyond Disorderly Eating: The Truth About Sugar & Bingeing & How to Stop is completed. It sits on the "finished for the moment" shelf, next to Sugar...the Hidden Eating Disorder & How to Lick It. They remind me of two girls waiting to be asked to the prom, only instead of desiring a date with the coveted football team quarterback, they are hoping for a "come hither glance" from a creative & energetic editor who will fall deeply in love with them.


Sometimes they don't "get it." Why wouldn't a publisher, editor, or agent want to connect up with their subject matter that is so pertinent to the major problems of life? It's not like there isn't a market or people who need/want to know what is between their pages. A walk in any mall or a look in just about any shopping cart will put that idea to rest.


No....it's not that at all. Instead, it's about their author who isn't known "on the street." She may have worked in the clinical field for over 30 years, but she doesn't have a book on the shelf in a major bookstore. I often hear them discussing how to accomplish this "on their own." Sometimes I think I'll walk into Barnes & Noble & find them sitting there, waiting to brag about how they did this for me.


I don't like rejection words on my mindSCRABBLE board. I used to have lots of them, but one day I simply dumped the board & disallowed all letters to form words that weren't in keeping with what I want. Sometimes I notice that I don't have enough success words at my fingertips. Old regulars seem to have lost their emotional punch, either from blind-usage or complete disuse. Time to open the Thesaurus & refurbish the word-pile.


I remind myself that I'm a clinical hypnotherapist & I do know the power of mind images & future-paced metaphor. I know that I will bring towards me, whatever I play in the theater of my mind, especially if I load it with powerful, positive-flavored emotion.


So, today I will have a chat with my "girls", letting them know that I take full responsibility for getting them where they want to go. I also open my client/patient files & give my word to those who have disorderly eating & addiction issues. I may not be a snake, but I can get up a tree. I've done it many times before & I'm still ready for the challenge.


I work to move my mindset from low-power to high-power. I locate the courage necessary to overcome any & all obstacles.
Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, C.Ht

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home