Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Tired Words


Woe unto them that are thired of everything, for everything will certainly be tired of them.
CK. Chesterton


The landscaper placed some new plants in the front of our home. Like a new doting parent, I wanted to know everything about helping the young plant towards a long & healthy life.

After going through the feeding & watering schedule, he reminded me to pay attention for any signs of plant-tiring. This certainly caught the attention of the new mother. "What does that mean?" "Simply put"...said the landcaper, "the plant isn't getting what it needs & so that must be corrected. Remember to pay attention to the small details. Watch how the leaves turn inward, rolling on themselves. Feel them. Notice if any mold has appeared."

I'm not new to tiredness. In any given day, I am surrounded by a multitude of tired people & this in itself can be a tiring experience. It's so easy to be sucked up in a sea of tired words or physical expression, especially when presented by experts in the field of being tired. Perhaps you know some of them. Even the word "hello" can be drenched in the stuff.

I have some patients who phone me regularly. It takes all the strength I can muster to stay out of their drowning pool. One woman, in particular, has a very toxic voice- tonality. When she speaks, I can sense my own neurological system going out of balance. As the hormones surge, my back & shoulders tense. My heart beat quickens, along with my respirations. It's all I can do to sit still. This is a living example of the true mind-body connection & as a health care professional, I do know to pay attention.

Stress chemicals are stored in the body, rather like a bank account. The body doesn't forget. Changes are always taking place. Some things we sense immediately & others will not present themselves until some time down the road. This is how stress-related diseases come to be. Few of us are without these, including myself. As the old cliche goes, if I new then what I know now, things would be different.

Back to the tired plant & the wisdom of the landscaper. "Give it what it needs."

My inner voice absorbs this & connects it to myself. What do I need & where do I get it?
It's brought to my attention that "As for the plants, one needs to provide that for them because they can't up-root & go to get what they need. But being a self-responsible adult, I can find out what I need & provide it to myself. "

Few of us think in this way. We tend towards dependence, like the plant, waiting for someone to notice that we are uncomfortable or needy & then blaming or resenting if our needs are not meant. We become tired of it all.

This is stressful living.

Individuals who choose to follow this path usually go on to practice unhealthy release, mainly through addiction of some sort, or the presentation of emotional imbalance. Walking around, housing unsavory emotions & sharing them with others is one form of this. At the very least, it is unpleasant, rather like serving spoiled food to your guests. It is also an attempt at controlling. And, if you are alone with your spoiled food, you are simply serving it to yourself.

Make no mistake....the body & mind will be responding, both now & down the path. The piper will be paid.

I just looked at my schedule for today.....and yes, it is filled with tired people & so I'll have special needs to provide for myself. Paying attention to my own inner chemistry & responding accordingly. Remembering the inner bank account & not wanting to over-draw on my reserves. Actually writing my blog entry has already helped me. I'm focused & in heightened awareness of the possible elements that will make my day.

ARCHIVED BLOG

I learn to face my difficulties directly & I always win. I easily empower myself.
Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, C.Ht

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home