Friday, July 29, 2005

Self-Observing Words

It is necessary to try to surpass one's self always; this occupation ought to last as long as life....Queen Christina


Self-observations from yesterday....it was a day like all the rest, but it was also completely different from any day I've ever had.

This is a truism for all of us. Days may appear to be the same on the surface, but they are never the same. We are entertained by different happenings, different thoughts & always different emotional visitors or marinades. We meet up with different people, or the same people who share different words & different moods. We always learn new things & hopefully teach new things as well. Remember, we are all students & teachers at the same time.

Self-observing is a major key to self-growth. If we fail to pay attention to the day at hand, it has the tendency to slip through our fingers, taking the gifts of the day with it. Sometimes gifts of the day are wrapped in strange ways & so only the most keen observer can spot them. These are usually the most powerful gifts & so developing a high level of awareness both for your Self & in relation to others has the potential for changing life in big ways.

So, how do you go about doing this when the day only has 24 hours & for some reason, it is always completely filled with things to do? Enter your own inner-coaching system or your cooperative & powerful subconscious mind.

I might have mentioned in an early blog entry that less than 2% of the population knows how to utilize the power of the subconscious mind to any great degree. This is very sad, because it isn't all that difficult. In a more perfect world, children would learn these mind-tools in school & as they matured, they would teach their own children, establishing a new pattern of parenting. Back in the 80's I did some of this teaching in our local school system & remember how eager the children were, as well as how well they did. Unfortunately, the funds were not there & so the program fizzled.

One begins awareness training by practicing stillness. In my private practice, once the initial interview with the patient is completed, I begin to teach this first step. It never ceases to amaze me how much resistance there is to becoming still & quiet. Even if the individual wants to, the body & mind may set up a parade of reasons why they cannot do this.

Pay attention to how much noise we entertain & how much we invite into our lives. I remember my first meditation teacher telling me to keep my house free of invited noise for the first hour or so after waking. This meant no television or radio. I remember my own personal resistance to this. At that time I had a television or radio in every room, including one in the shower. The idea of listening to my own thoughts was actually frightening to me. I was shocked to find this out about myself. To this day I keep all invited noise out of my life until I'm in my office, or if I'm at home, none for the first few hours.

Driving to work without radio or CD playing allows my mind to present creative ideas. The same happens in the shower or on a morning walk. If you belong to a gym, observe how many people need to be entertained my music or even television programs piped into the treadmill. The message this delivers to the subconscious mind is similar to a parent who is always too busy to listen to their child. If the mind cannot find space to communicate, it simply will stop doing that.

And so, the first part of our awareness work is to build in quiet places, not just in the morning, but throughout the day. In my work I call this fractionation. These are simply mini-islands of purposeful quiet or stillness. Once one becomes adept at doing these, it is possible to enter a mini-island at any time, even in front of others or while in conversation. This is like having direct contact with your most powerful source or heightened intuition, right in the middle of any moment at all.
When we have established this type of inner-self rapport, we are free to request whatever we want or need, or to ask the subconsicous mind to present us with plans or details, as well as to put them in order for us.

Suppose for a moment that you were writing an article or a chapter in a book & you experienced some blocking. How would you like it if your personal inner-assistant would take over your creative process for you, not only making it good, but even better. Suppose the words simply flowed off the ends of your fingers, just as if someone else were placing them on your computer screen or paper. We have all had this experience. It's called focus & flow or being in the groove, etc. How would you like it, if you could have this focus-flow state on demand?

Keep in mind that today you will have the opportunity to receive lots of gifts from those you meet during your day. Practice being still, paying close attention, observing & listening. Look for the gifts. They are there. See if you can spot them & identify them. Ask your own inner-assistant to help you do this. Simply relax deeply, right now.......take a few cleansing breaths & contact this part of yourself. Think what you need or want & do remember to say please & thank you.

I don't have barriers, only wake-up calls to release & learn... Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, C.Ht

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home