Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Moment Words...

The ancestor of every action is a thought...Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was just having a conversation with a young patient of mine who has a history of anorexia. She was telling me that she doesn't think of herself as being too thin. So, of course, her actions match her thoughts. She is not about to eat what her body needs IF she believes what her thoughts tell her.

So, it becomes important to change her frame of thinking & then to motivate within the new frame. It's also important for her to work with dissecting her momentary experiences, especially those that are cementing her potentially dangerous thoughts.
Here is a bit of what I had to say in this regard...

A strange as it sounds, we only have a vague idea of what we look like on the outside. Many of us can't bear looking at self-photographs & work hard to keep cameras away. Of course not everyone is the same. Even if we like the way we look & view photographs of ourselves, what we get to see is only a momentary image caught by the lens, now seen through our own perception & inner judging program. For certain, we do remain a mystery, both outside and inside! Therefore, it is important to have someone you trust to tell you the truth.

A very large percentage of what resides inside of us, physical or emotional, tends to remain mysterious for most of our lives, mainly because we're not attentive to the clues sent up by the body departments, our thought processes, or our momentary experiences. Sometimes we awaken if the body part screams loud enough, but even then, little is done about the underlying cause. Sometimes we notice a mood flucuation caused by negative-thoughts, but may not choose to release these in a healthy way.

We may turn to medication to obliterate the symptom, or to another substance or controlling behavior, to mask the truths. If the family history pulls towards addiction, these symptoms then become the hooks & an unhealthy pattern of behavior is etched into the subconscious mind.

Managing the mind & body connection takes skill & practice. Although knowledge & awareness are valuable, they are not enough. There must be action that will change the body physiology, as well as open the mind for re-programming.

My patients utilize two different tools. It takes a bit of practice to develop skill, but once they do, they can apply these tools to all different aspects of their lives. These two tools interface with each other, so sometimes it isn't clear as to which tool is being utilized. It's rather like driving a car, or performing any other automatic experience.

The first tool, called interactive awareness, calls us to attention. We awaken & catch the moment. Once the moment is caught, we can accomplish a number of things, including entering the moment & changing whatever we want. In this step we are utilizing the second tool, that of Interactive Self-Hypnosis.. We can notice how quickly they interface. This can take as little as 1/200th of a second.

When someone becomes skillful with these tools, it is possible to simply notice & change an outcome very quickly indeed. This is powerful in sports, as well as in other areas where optimum performance is desired. For myself, I find this useful in the practice of my profession, as well as in the unfolding of my daily experiences, including my relationships. The day is only half over & I can't count how many times I've pulled into my moments & edited some old mind program that was getting in my way, or used it to open my mind in a creative endeavor.

My patient needed to pull into moments that were acting as triggers for her anorexia. I've known her for quite some time & so I'm aware of her triggers, but each time we work together, different life experiences light up different aspects of her triggers. The same is true for all of us, including myself. Of course, I'm aware that I'm stress-triggered by chaos & the need to control, or my undying need to be right. However, each day I get to see these old issues in a new light....depending on what I'm experiencing in any given moment.

It is helpful to have a working image tool, representative of an actual moment. The reason for this is that moments are difficult to catch, especially in the beginning of your mind-body work.

Like everyone else, I tend to auto-pilot through life. So, I notice my thoughts & connected moments as DVD programs that play in my mind. I sense them as being separate from me....this is a form of detachment or disassociation. This is a very workable image because my subconscious mind already understands what a DVD is & accepts that it can be removed if I don't enjoy the program.

To help me wake up to mind programs that are negative, or as I like to call them....unskillful, I employ my subconscious mind librarian. Mine happens to be a she. In deep relaxation I have asked her to show me any & all DVD thought & connected moment programs that take me away from any of my major goals, that I have previously outlined for her.

It's really quite amazing to experience some of the awakenings. Some are small & some are big....but the subconscious mind librarian is always on target, for indeed, each one of them is capable of programming my mind for outcomes that keep me off goal course. In fact, I've had a few DVD wake-up calls while writing this blog entry!

Once you are awake, it's simply a matter of taking a cleansing breath from the lower belly, relaxing into the moment.......sensing letting go.........& then......tilting your eyes up just about 20 degrees, locating the inner mind screen & seeing/sensing an emotionalized image of what you want, just as if you already had it.

As for my patient, she left the office today seeing/sensing herself at her healthy weight & enjoying giving herself this gift of health. She visited her future-Self & received a big thank you for not complicating her life.

ARCHIVED BLOG

I easily awaken to moments & their imbedded thoughts. I mind-edit for what I want, as if I already had it in the palm of my hand ...Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, C.Ht
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Offerings for Publishers, Editors & Agents

Beyond Disorderly Eating...The Truth About Sugar & Bingeing & How to Stop

mindSCRABBLE...The Game of Programming Your Mind for What You Want

It's Time to Stop....Nail Biting - Book & Interactive Self-Hypnosis CD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home